Friday, December 17, 2010

Pickett delivers second Aussie silver

Gold Coast youngster Leiston Pickett has completed off her first year of international competition in style, winning silver in the women’s 50m breaststroke on night two of finals at the 2010 FINA World Short Course Championships in Dubai.Pickett, who won silver at the Pan Pacific Championships in Irvine and gold at the Common wealth Games in Delhi, has made a habit of standing on the podium in 2010 and has gained in confidence in what has been a breakout year for the 18-year-old.

Trailing the field at the 25m turn, the tyro came home powerfully over the last 25m to finish just 0.01 of a second behind the USA’s Rebecca Soni (29.83) in a new personal best time of 29.84, to take the silver medal with Sarah Katsoulis finishing 8th in 30.34.“I finished school last year and just missed out on the worlds team, and I came into this year not really expecting much just really looking at 2012, but I’m really happy with the small steps that I’m making along the way,” said Pickett.

“I thought I was doing the 100m here but actually wasn’t, but I have ramped up my 100m breaststroke training and I definitely want to make that team for London in the 100”,“It has been a great experience doing a lot of international racing this year and confidently I can carry that through to the World Championship trials next year.”In the women’s 50m butterfly semi finals Felicity Galvez swam an all-time personal best of 25.20 to set a new championship record only to see Therese Alshammar from Sweden better it by 0.01 of a second in the second semi.

No comments:

Post a Comment