Monday, January 3, 2011

James Magnussen eyes a golden career

PORT Macquarie's own Common wealth Gold medallist James Magnussen is for a larger a better year than 2010.And considering the 19-year won relay gold at the Delhi Common wealth Games, his prospect are sky high.Magnussen rushed the gold award from his English rivals in the last 50 metres of the 4 x 100m freestyle relay at the XIX Common wealth Games in Delhi.The Aussies' team of sprint king Eamon Sullivan, Kyle Richardson and Tommaso D'Orsonga left Magnussen in second place behind England's Adam Brown with 50m remaining. But the Port Macqquarie superfish stormed home to win by a body length.

"I sort of knew where he was, and I knew his style of swimming, so I was not at all worried by him," Magnussen explained."I knew I could get up over him in the end."It's a dream to win a gold medal for Australia."I'm thrilled."As confident as the youngster sounds, representing his country at the Common wealth Games came somewhat surprisingly."It was a lot more than I expected to occur to me for the year," Magnussen said.The plan was to just get settled in Sydney and get myself into a routine."But 2010 held much more for Magnussen than winning Commonwealth gold.

"I was able to travel to six different countries," he explained."I had the opportunity to meet a lot of world-class swimmers from all over the world."And he is off again. After spend a week home with family for Christmas, Magnussen has headed back to the big smoke and won't be back in his native land of Port Macquarie for some time."I had a really nice time while being back here," he said."It was good to catch up with friends and family.""Unfortunately chances are this will be the last time I'm in Port Macquarie before London (2012 Olympic Games)."Before concentrating on the upcoming Olympics, Magnussen must first competition the Australian swimming championships in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment