Friday, January 21, 2011

Rasquinha contemplating arrival to hockey

The formal announcement of World Hockey Series by the Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) early this month has not only got over 100 overseas players involved in the league but it has also forced former India captain Viren Rasquinha to think of a return.“I have been playing domestic hockey league in Mumbai and I have been considering making a comeback,” the former India midfielder, who was in Bangalore on Thursday, told .The league, which is to be launched later this year, has received a marvelous response from hockey players the world over, and if things go as planned, hockey buffs may see former greats taking to the turf.

“Let’s say that the World Series is quite a bit of a target but more than that I just want to get back to the sport,” added the 30-year-old who retired from international hockey in 2008 to pursue a MBA degree. When asked if he sees himself playing for India again, he said he was confident. “Though the game has changed since the time I quit, if I am able to make time and practice three hours a day I am confident that I can make it to the Indian team,” he opined. The Mumbaikar has donned the role of Chief Operating Officer (COO) since 2009 and with the OGQ-funded athletes playing a main role in the medal tally at the Common wealth Games and Asian Games that kept him busy all of 2010.

However, this year, he has decided to devote time on the field and get acquainted with the fast-paced game.“I have not held a stick in a while as the CWG and Asian Games kept me busy with OGQ work but I’ve just been aggravated with myself for not working out. I hardly had the time but again it all depends on how busy I am going to be this year,” he said. Going by the stunning presentation of young athletes from rural India in the quadrennial proceedings last year, Rasquinha said that urban youngsters don’t have the hunger and dedication to achieve success at the international arena. He even affirmed that he did not see any Mumbai hockey player making it to the national squad in the coming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment