Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sharath hopes to continue ranking

India’s number one paddler Achanta Sharath Kamal hopes to maintain his world ranking till June to secure an Olympic berth. Having made to the no 2 club in Germany, Ochsenhausen, the current world ranked 40 said it was actually big to get abase in the European nation where the practice condition is excellent. Talking to PTI on the sidelines of the 72nd Senior National table tennis championship here, the Common wealth Games doubles gold medallist said: "At the moment I am looking to qualify for the Olympics straight. This is going to happen by June 1. By then I should be within top 40 in the world."

Twenty eight direct entries with two from each country will secure an Olympic berth. "If someone else also can make it, we can have a chance in the team competition," he said."The Federation is also trying to help me to play the pro-tours. After this I have the England Open and the Qatar Open, where I am defending some points. Playing fine in these tournaments will help me defend some points to stay in the top 40."He said it was tough to make a club in Germany where only one foreign person is allowed per club. He had to wait till he won the Egypt Open.

"It''s the strongest nation in Europe. Germany are also the Olympics silver medallist. I get good practice partners and good practice environment. Basically the players are very strong there and so is the system," he said. Kamal said, "I wanted to go to Germany in 2009. But I couldn''t, as I was too weak for the league. Even being World No 70, I was weak for the league."Because only one foreign player is allowed for a club and generally that place is occupied by a Chinese, Japanese ora Korean. So even if an Indian is good, the Chinese are chosen because of their brand value. So that was one thing why I couldn''t get in."

No comments:

Post a Comment