Friday, February 11, 2011

Callum Johnson looks to Burns for motivation

Common wealth Games gold medallist Callum Johnson has described Ricky Burns as an "inspiration" ahead of his second expert fight. Johnson appears on Burns' undercard at the Braehead Arena, Glasgow; on March 12.And the Naseem Hamed protege says the WBO Worlds Super-Featherweight champion is the perfect role model."It's a real honour to be boxing on the same show as a Ricky again," said Johnson."I'm a eager student of boxing, and I've watched his career right from the start.

"He fight Graham Earl down in London as the missing man, and he got a show against Alex Arthur when he wasn't very experienced."But Ricky has stuck with it, worked as hard as he maybe could, and now he is reaping the rewards."He is a typical example of what you can achieve if you have talent and commitment, and that's an inspiration to me."I know that I have to make the most of my talent and drain every last ounce from it."I don't want winning gold at the Common wealth Games to be a high point of my career.

I want it to be just the start. Johnson got his career off the perfect start last year, when he halted Phillip Townley in two rounds at the Braehead Arena, rotating heads with his exact power-punching. Now the light-heavyweight desires to make swift development in the next 12 months. Hopefully I can contain half a dozen fights between now and Christmas, said Johnson. That’s the plan anyway, and by that stage I should be on the verge of struggle for a title.

No comments:

Post a Comment