Friday, February 4, 2011

Purdue eager to be successful in 2011

Charlotte Purdue made a ridicule of her injury troubles in 2010 and after an inspiring start to this battle; the GB ace has vowed to make this year her best yet. Purdue’s 2010 season her last in the junior position should have been harshly hampered by a knee injury which enforced her to miss the World Junior Championships in Canada in July. But the plucky 20-year-old made sure her year was by no means a write off by concluding fourth and sixth in the 10,000 and 5,000m in that order at October’s Common wealth Games in India.

Purdue coached by Steph Twell’s coach Mick Woods at the creative distance running conveyer belt at Aldershort, Farnham and District also managed to grab the European Junior cross country title to make sure 2010 was anything but an injury-tarnished damp squib.2011 sees Purdue facing up to the disreputably complicated conversion from junior to senior athlete but the 20-year-old is adamant she is up to the task. “I have loved my time as a junior,” said Purdue. “Now I am excited about having more hostility in senior races and trying to convert my success to that level this season. “It was great to cap off 2010 with the European cross title.

“I plan to continue racing 5,000 and 10,000m, although I would like to move up to the marathon at some stage.”And Purdue who is mentored by double Olympic champion Dame Kelly Holmes believes the experience garnered in India will be priceless to her imminent fresh challenges. “The 10,000m was first in the schedule at the Common wealth Games and my first objective, so the 5,000m was a bonus out there,” added Purdue. “Overall I was really happy with the way I performed and I feel I gained valuable experience.”

No comments:

Post a Comment