Monday, February 7, 2011

Saina eyes return to top

Saina Nehwal will begin her 2011 spell participating in the All England Badminton Championship in Birmingham next month as she is returning to the courts following an ankle injury.“I need four weeks to make a return so I won’t be participating in any occasion before the All England championships. I am looking forward to the All England and then the Swiss Open to start with,” she said at the sidelines of a coaching clinic that she conducted in the city on Sunday. In the All England Championships that will be held from March 8-13, she will be rutted against the best in the world with top Chinese rivals.

Though Saina’s position curved in from two to five, she still had a great 2010 winning three successive super series and Common wealth Games gold last year. She is raring to go after her dream run was blocked by an ankle injury. “I was not fully fit in the Korean Open. I missed five weeks of training and had just one week to carry out. I will take some more time to be fully fit,” added the 21-year-old Hyderabadi. “2011 is a crucial year for me and my focus will be to win as many tournaments as possible. Another major event I am targeting is the world championship in August,” she added.

Talking about the clinic that she conducted for kids, she said that she started very late, at nine years, and that she feels that kids should be introduced to any sport when they are three or four. “I started when I was nine, but I feel that three otherwise four is the ideal age. Nobody believes that I performed so well in such a short period of time. But I guess I am lucky,” she added.saina roots for india at world cup. With the World Cup fever catching on and the people of the nation just waiting for the mega cricketing show to start, like any Indian, even Saina Nehwal is hoping that the India win the World Cup this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment